Schmidt College of Science Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Student Ambassadors
Now accepting applications for this this elite and relevant student group of Schmidt College of Science Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Student Ambassadors (COS DEI Ambassadors). Keep reading to learn more about the group and how to apply.
Applications for Fall 2022 are due May 15.
COS DEI Student Ambassadors is a
student organization that will assist the COS DEI committee (comprised of faculty and staff) in the coordination and maintenance of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
The initiatives of the DEI committee include:
- Fostering an inclusive environment where everyone feels welcomed and supported
- Attracting and retaining a diverse and talented student body, faculty, and staff
- Providing challenging out-of-class experiential learning opportunities
Role of the Student Ambassadors
The COS DEI Student Ambassadors will focus on the following activities for students from underrepresented backgrounds including but not limited to first-generation, marginalized and minority racial and/or ethnic groups, LGBTQIA+, and low-income students:
- Raise awareness in STEM education
- Identify and create opportunities
- Advocate and create safe spaces
- Foster a smooth transition for students into STEM education.
- Serve as an advocate for marginalized groups
- Provide informational resources to succeed in STEM
- Provide avenues for students to facilitate discussions
- Provide peer diversity training and host diversity-related programs and workshops
- Serve as liaisons for student DEI initiatives between COS and other programs and groups
Benefits of becoming a COS DEI Student Ambassador
- Students will learn about some of the challenges and barriers to marginalized groups within the college of science, and exact change for these individuals and groups.
- The chance to work closely with individuals and groups to effect relevant change in the sciences for marginalized groups.
- A role as a leader in the college of science concerning DEI matters.
- The occasion to meet like-minded students from various disciplines across the College of Science.
- The opportunity to work closely with COS DEI faculty and staff on relevant issues for diverse student groups.
- A chance to set yourself apart as an elite member of this group, when applying for graduate schools.
- The opportunity to be the change that you want to see at FAU with respect to inclusion and equity for students at FAU.
Requirements to Apply
- One must be able to actively engage, listen, and have an open mind.
- The student must be enrolled at FAU and willing to serve and represent FAU’s College of Science DEI initiatives for one full year, and able to dedicate an appropriate amount of time to these initiatives when necessary.
- Student must be majoring in one of the programs within the College of Science departments: Biological Sciences, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Environmental Science, Exercise Science and Health Promotion, Geosciences, Marine Science & Oceanography, Mathematical Sciences, Neuroscience, Physics, Psychology, and Urban & Regional Planning.
- Minimum of 30 credit hours, and a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above are welcome to apply. Graduate students who are in good academic standing may also apply.
- The prospective ambassador must exhibit academic excellence, strong communication skills, leadership skills and interpersonal skills.
- One must be able to attend scheduled mandatory training, certain COS DEI committee meetings and agree to the time commitment to fulfill all duties. COS DEI committee hosts about six meetings a year and the Student Ambassador is expected to attend some of these meetings when needed.
Complete the application by May 15. In addition to basic information the application will include a 3-part essay response with the following prompts concerning DEI and belonging:
- What does “belonging” mean to you? (150-250 words)
- What types of events and activities have you participated in organizing, and how did that help to cultivate a sense of belonging? (150-250 words)
- What types of inclusive events and/or activities for the COS DEI would you like to see on FAU's campuses? (150-250 words)
(Please note that you must be logged into your FAU google account to access the google form.)
- Selected students will be interviewed by COS DEI committee members during June/July.
- Applicants will be notified by August 1st.
- Term is August 1st – July 31st.
The first COS DEI Student Ambassadors terms will begin Fall 2022.
For any questions regarding the group, how to apply or the scope of the responsibilities, please contact Lana C. Jones, Ph.D.