More Information for Graduate Students

Financial Support

  • Doctoral students on Teaching Assistantships receive a stipend and tuition remission, usually for a period of up to 5 years. Funding for students on Research Assistantships may be different depending on the advisor and grant fund availability.

  • Typically, Master's programs should be completed in 2 years and PhD programs in 5 years.

  • Master's students are not guaranteed an assistantship, stipend or tuition remission. The availability depends on the program and availability of assistantships.

  • Annual Graduate Tuition information.

  • Citizens of Latin America and the Caribbean may apply for scholarships to be eligible for the in-state tuition rate.


Information for Applicants and Current Students

College of Science Graduate Association

The purpose of this organization shall be to provide an interdepartmental network association between graduate students, faculty, and staff, as well as to spark interest in scientific studies for students enrolled at FAU. CSGA will hold events throughout the semester with the purpose of allowing graduate students to be more familiar with the College of Science as a whole. For more information please contact us

New Programs and Course Proposals

New Graduate Program Proposals and Graduate New Course Proposals or Changes in Course Title should first be approved by the Department and then submitted to the College Graduate Programs Committee for approval. Once approved by the College Committee, the proposal is forwarded to the University Graduate Programs Committee for approval, then to the University Faculty Senate for approval.

College Programs Committee

The College Graduate Programs Committee is composed of the Department and Program Graduate Directors. At its first meeting each Fall, the committee elects a Chair who also represents the College on the University Graduate Programs committee of the University Faculty Senate.

Masters Along the Way Step by Step Process

The Electronic Plan of Study system will be used for Ph.D. students who plan to earn a Master’s degree along the way. Below is an outline of the steps:
In order to process a Master’s-Along-The-Way, we will need to complete and submit the following documents the semester before the student plans to earn their MALW.
  • Electronic Plan of Study for a Master’s Degree – this must be submitted the semester before the degree is awarded (The student or advisor should note in the note section in the electronic plan of study that the student is earning a Master’s-Along-The-Way)
  • Application for Degree for Master’s Degree – this is submitted to SE 43, Room 308 the same week the student generates their electronic plan of study. The form should use the semester after the POS is submitted as graduation date (with a post-it stating Master’s-Along-The-Way on the paper form). The form should be signed by both the student and department.
  • After degree certification is complete and the degree is awarded we follow up with Graduate Admissions if any student record is not turned back to Ph.D. Our Current Semester Enrollment report helps monitor this for us.